OUR NEXT QUARTERLY MEETING
SATURDAY, JULY 24, 2021
You are invited to our 170th quarterly meeting of the Georgia Poetry Society.
10:00 Call to order, with Steven Shields presiding. Welcome and announcements
10:10 Open mic (contact Alyson Shields at VP@georgiapoetrysociety.org to sign up)
10:30 Reading by winners of the 2020 Member Excellence Contest and Reach of Song 2021 honorees.
11:00 Reading by Ed Nichols, author of “I Wish I Could Laugh”
11:30 Poetry prompts, any final announcements/discussion/questions
12:00 Meeting adjourned
See the website front page for information on our speakers.
Future 2021 Meetings: October 23.
In 2022: January 22, April 23, July 23, October 22.
Quarterly Meetings occur 4 times a year in January, April, July and October. We usually meet on a third or fourth Saturday of the month. Meetings usually go from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m, approximately. They are located at various sites around the state. Everyone is welcome whether a member or not. At events where lunch is provided, lunch reservations are required. Go to the Current Newsletter page to select the latest newsletter with all the upcoming meeting details and other poetry news.
The following are some of the things you can expect when you attend one of our Quarterly Meetings:
- Open mic morning and afternoon for poetry readings, usually limited to one poem per person
- Multiple guest poets giving workshops and reading their poems
- Recently published members reading their poems
- Fall Contest winners awards and readings (January)
- Youth Contest winners awards and readings (April)
- Chapbook Contest winner reading from their new book (April)
- National Federation of State Poetry Societies contest winners from Georgia awards and readings (July)
- Presentation of our annual anthology The Reach of Song (July)
- Presentation of Awards For Excellence, member poems selected for publication in The Reach of Song (July)
- Fellowship with other poets from around the state, especially at lunchtime
- Opportunities to purchase GPS and member publications: anthologies and Chapbook Contest winners, even a discount table